Knowledgebase Articles: Working with Regions
|For all shops 2 regions are created automatically: Rest of the World and a region with the name of the country selected on the first step of the Site Setup Wizard (e.g. United Kingdom, France, United States, etc.). If a country with sub-regions/states is selected (*), then it means that the region will contain this country with all sub-regions/states selected.
(*) -Important: At the moment only the United States country has a breakdown by states.
The Rest of the World (ROW) region is a special region maintained by the system automatically for each shop. It is always present and cannot be edited/deleted and includes all countries (and sub-regions/states) that are not used in other regions created for a shop.
1) There are 2 regions apart from ROW : "USA", which includes all US states, and "USA - California", which includes California only. The ROW region will contain all countries except US with all states.
2) There are 2 regions: "USA - Georgia", which includes Georgia only, and "USA - California", which includes California only. The ROW region will contain all countries except for Georgia and California US states.
3) There is 1 region apart from ROW: "Ireland". The ROW region will contain all countries except Ireland.
To manage the regions, please go to Settings > Manage Regions.
General rules for editable regions (Add/Edit Region)
1. Once a country is added to the right grid ("Region Countries"), it becomes disabled in the left grid.
2. Each region can contain up to 30 countries.
3. The same country (incl. sub-regions/states) can be used in several regions. But it shouldn't be possible to add the same country (even if different sub-regions/states are selected) to the same region more than once.
4. A country with sub-regions/states is marked with the 'pencil' icon both in the left and right grids . (*)
5. If the 'pencil' button is clicked, a list of available for this country sub-regions/states appear. This list is presented as check boxes, ticked by default. To select/unselect all sub-regions/states, use the 'Select All' check box. Click 'Done' to save the changes and go back to the main Add/Edit Region screen grid, 'Cancel' - to cancel the changes and go back to the main Add/Edit Region screen grid. Please note that at least one sub-region/state must be selected for such countries.6. If several sub-regions/states have been selected for the country, the country's name will be changed in the right grid to reflect the changes. For example, United States will be renamed to: "(UNITED STATES) Alaska, Hawaii". (*) - Important: At the moment only the United States country has a breakdown by states.
Breakdown by the sub-regions/states on the published site
Important note for developers and shop owners who use bespoke templates:
This functionality is only available for templates that have the generic template version id=8 or greater. Please see Template Version Control for more information on the generic template version.
To all forms which include the Country and County/State fields the following rules are applied:
1) If the United State is selected from the 'Country' drop down list, the optional 'County/State' input field will be replaced with the required 'State' drop down list.
The US states are sorted alphabetically in the drop down. By default, at the top of the list ‘Please Select…’ is shown.
2) If the United Kingdom is selected from the 'Country' drop down list, the optional 'County/State' input field will be renamed to 'County'.
3) If any other country is selected from the 'Country' drop down list, the optional 'County/State' input field will stay unchanged.